Do you use Twitter for your business? When you post a tweet do you get the engagement you’re hoping for? If you are just starting out or you’ve been using twitter for a while this article has some interesting and useful takeaways.
I was shocked at how powerful the Twitter platform is for new customer engagement.
I really didn’t used Twitter for my business much and always thought it was just a way to keep up with the latest trends and news. I started testing different types of engagement posts a few months ago and the results stunned me! I like encouraging followers to step outside their comfort zone and try new things. I posted thought provoking messages to help inspire freelancers, solopreneurs and entrepreneurs. Some of my tweets included photos to enhance the message and others just had limited text. Here are the highlights from my Twitter test results.
Highlights from my 2 month Twitter engagement test. Tweets to freelancers, solopreneurs and entrepreneurs:
1. Twitter followers in the small business market love to be inspired with helpful information and useful tips. I shared useful tips and links with my service/product offers included in the message. 1 of 3 tweets generated some type of engagement during the test. I thought it was interesting how some people liked my tweets but they did not become followers until 10-20 tweets later. This is almost like dating. You can’t expect to get married on the first tweet date!
2. Tweets with photos to enhance the message where liked and retweeted most often by a long shot. It is was easy to get lost in the mix of tweets with a short text message. Engagement went way up soon as I added a related photo to the same text tweet.
3. Engagement and impressions went up 300% or more when I included a free resource, tool or tip.
4. I offered my ebook for free during a 3 day promo. 100+ downloads, $0.00 spent and no ads. The results stunned and excited me at the same time. I had a 30% download conversion rate with only 400 followers! I was able to connect with several new customers from a single no cost promotion on twitter!
5. Hashtags increased likes, followers and engagement up to 300% during my test. For example, I used #startup, #entrepreneur and my impressions and engagement went WAY up. The number of impressions measured by Twitter doubled or tripled depending on how many times I posted in a single day. I did not want to over tweet and risk losing followers so I limited my tweets to 4 each day. I was excited to see followers adding me to a number of #startup lists on Twitter during this process as well.
6. I posted my tweets at different times during the day and night. I discovered the best times to tweet to my tribe are between 8am-9am and 12pm-1pm during the week. The best time to tweet in the evening hours was between 5pm and 6pm. I waited until 9pm for my last post to catch followers in the Pacific Time zone. The best day for high engagement was definitely Sunday between 8am and 1pm Eastern Time.
Tip: Offer value and useful information to your potential clients without being spamy. This will help you position as an authority in your niche market. Always offer value and gain trust before pitching your service or product to a potential client. I’ve coached hundreds of small business owners over the last 12 years and the majority have tried to skip the trust building process and go directly to a sales pitch. You may get a one shot deal this way but recurring revenue comes mostly from repeat clients that know, like and trust you. Repeat orders from existing clients is much less expensive to your business in the long run.
Most of all be consistent and keep your posts relevant to your followers. I’m all about helping entrepreneurs grow their business and live a freedom lifestyle. I don’t post about the latest health food or sporting events and they don’t come to my website for that.
Are you connecting with your target audience and nurturing potential new clients? Here is a good article to help you get started with outreach campaigns. Keep it visual, the human brain processes images 60,000 times faster than text and 90 percent of information transmitted to the brain is visually based.
Here are 9 Twitter marketing stats for business success that you should know from HubSpot.
Need help marketing and growing your business? Call us for a free 15 minute consultation 813-334-3094.